Episode 25 of the Talkin’ Tech podcast for all our PodPeople! This week Dom, Mark and Chris discuss Google IO.
Here’s episode 25 of Talkin’ Tech, the weekly podcast from the MobileTechTalk team. Join us each week for discussion and opinions, news, sneak peaks and more from the world of mobile technology and beyond.
This week we look at:
- Google shows off the 3rd preview of Android N, makes it a public beta for supported hardware – it brings back Android Pay
- Android Pay officially launches in the UK (https://www.android.com/pay/)
- Project Soli is still real, radar controls for all your shit – (http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/20/11720876/google-soli-smart-watch-radar-atap-io-2016 )
- Project Jacquard (remember that?) still a thing, Levi makes a jacket with it inside – (http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/20/11721280/project-jacquard-atap-touch-sensitive-levis-jacket )
- Project Ara still alive, shipping to developers this autumn, consumers next year – (http://www.theverge.com/google/2016/5/20/11723508/google-project-ara-modular-phone-photos-io-2016)
- Google Home is Google’s version of the Echo, I wonder what’ll come to the UK first. – (http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11702284/google-home-io-2016-ai-voice-search-advertisement/in/11464127)
- Android Instant Apps, use some apps without downloading them – (http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11703884/android-instant-apps-no-download/in/11464127)
- Google DayDream, an extension of Cardboard, probably going to be dope as all hell – (http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11683536/google-daydream-virtual-reality-announced-android-n-io-2016/in/11464127)
- Turns out the LG G5 in addition to supporting Qualcomm QuickCharge 3.0, also supports the USB PD2.0 spec, the proper way to do fast charge on USB-C – (http://pocketnow.com/2016/05/20/lg-g5-is-usb-c-spec-compliant)
- Apple has had to pull an update for the 9.7” iPad pro because it was kinda softbricking devices – (http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/21/11730904/apple-ipad-pro-9-7-inch-ios-update-error-56)
- ARM has made a test chip for “Artemis” it’s next major core, on TSMC’s experimental 10nm process, I.am.excite – (http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/ARM-Produces-10nm-Artemis-Test-Chip)
- Contract phones? What contract phones? – (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/19/world_goes_sim_free_leaving_sony_and_htc_trailing/)
- Three In Touch (http://www.three.co.uk/discover/three_intouch)